Monday 20 November 2017

Polar Opposites

Over the last few weeks I have spent time examining the effects of climate change in Antarctica. However, it is also important to consider the Northern Hemisphere.

The effects of climate change in the Arctic are frequently reported in our news. The Arctic has warmed more than any other region on Earth and it is estimated that between 1979 and 2012 sea ice extent decreased by an average of 3.5 - 4.1% per decade. This is a very different story from that of Antarctica. 


This video from NASA clearly outlines the differences in sea ice extent in the Antarctic and Arctic and provides an interesting insight into how climate change is affecting the poles. 




1 comment:

  1. I didn't know the Arctic was melting at such a high rate! Crazy

    ReplyDelete

Antarctic Reflections

To summarise all that I have covered in the last few months I thought it would be useful to reflect on the questions I laid out in my first ...